One of the essential British recipes... Victoria Sponge. I made it for the first time a few weeks ago. It was quite an experience. While looking over the recipe, I was surprised at how simple this cake seemed. Cake should not be simple. Something was bound to go wrong. So it was that on a late Saturday evening I began my first experience with British cooking with Jordan reading me lyrics of her favorite songs and trying to get me to guess which song they were from. (I guessed every one correctly!!) The first bit went extremely well. I mixed all the ingredients together with out mismeasuring or getting baking powder confused with baking soda. Then I tasted the batter. It tasted like cornbread!! Cornbread is not a dessert! I was sure I had done something wrong. So I added a little more sugar. (and butter! Kidding! I only added the sugar.) I finally got the cakes into the oven only to forget about them. Thankfully, they were just finishing when I remembered. So far so good! Then the cakes sunk in. And my joy was squashed. My two beautiful layers of cakes now had a large crater in them. I sat there for ten minutes begging them to stop sinking in but to no avail. I decided that the whipped cream would fill those craters perfectly! In a fear that my cake would taste like cornbread I sweetened that whip cream just a tad to much. Then I added the raspberries to the center and just a few to the top. (Actually quite a lot to the top. Mom didn't want leftovers.) Finally, I dusted the top with powdered sugar. But I probably should have waited to do that as the sugar dissolved into the cake which left it looking a little sloppy. But still, I had made it to the end with only a few mishaps. And no one even noticed that the cakes were a little sunken in! So that adventure ended well, yes?
P.S. Jordan is currently writing a book, but she can't decide what to name her characters. So, you get to help her!! :) Here are your choices (choose one girl name and one boy name)
- Hilary
- Gwyneth
- Artemisia
- Peter
- Raphael
Personally, I'm voting for Artemisia and Raphael. :) Just leave me a comment or vote on the poll.
Cheers!
Addison
 |
| Victoria Sponge ingredients |
 |
| The batter |
 |
| The whipped cream |
 |
| Viola! The finished product |
Well I think your cakes look delicious. I hope everyone enjoyed them. Keep making Victoria sponge and you'll soon have perfect cake. You know the old saying I'm sure. All is well in Lockhart. Been a bit cool but is about to warm up. Planted some flowers today and grandpa repaired my birdhouse. Now I don't have to worry about the nest falling out as one side fell off. Love, Grandma
ReplyDeleteThanks Grandma! The cakes were very good! They did not taste like cornbread at all! :) Well, I am glad it is warming up there, it snowed here today! but it unfortunately did not stick. I am also glad that your birdhouse is repaired! It would have been so sad if a nest fell off!! Anyway, love you lots! addison
DeleteCool!! Sounds like you had a fun baking adventure! The cakes look delicious!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Olivia! It was a lot of fun! I was so glad the cakes turned out nice. :) How have you been? We havn't talked in a while...
ReplyDelete