6.23.2012
Cheapside Street Fayre
This week London was been celebrating a festival called Celebrate the City. A lot of churches were free, so we decided to tour St. Paul's. (Unfortunately, only one child as free.) The highlight of this visit was climbing the dome. The views were amazing! We could see everything! We saw our apartments, the Globe theatre, parks we visited, and the Tower Bridge. We climbed 530 steps to the top. The staircases were steep and winding. Afterwards, my legs were shaking so badly! After climbing the dome, we toured the crypt. We saw the tomb of the Duke of Wellington who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo. We also saw Horatio Nelson's grave. We saw the resting place of Sir Christopher Wren, the architect. There was a memorial to William Blake and Florence Nightingale. There was a statue of John Donne. His statue was actually in a previous Medieval church that burned down, and it was one of the only things that survived. But it bears the tale. It's base, a urn, is missing a handle and is scorched. But most defiantly, climbing the dome was my favorite part. With Celebrate The City came the Cheapside Street Fayre. Trade Guilds lined the streets. Blacksmiths, Poultry, and Wool were some of the major ones. We heard singing and a ukulele band. We heard the Mary-le-bow bells. Back in the olden days, when London was still walled in, Mary-le-bow rang the curfew. Also, you were a true Londoner if you were born within the sound of the Bow bells. Then we ate lunch in the St. Paul's gardens. We had our first Ginger Beer, and it was quite lovely. It tasted rather like liquid ginger snaps. We saw an English Fire Truck, and we all thought of our cousin, Braden. So I got pictures to show him. We miss having our cousins close to us. We also had our first Macaroon. It was pure heaven. I absolutely will figure out how to make the perfect Macaroon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love reading your blog. I can't believe I'm in school and study history LOL. Thx for all the great vivid descriptions!! Can't wait to get over there. We miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteThanks! We can't wait for y'all to come either! We miss all of y'all!
DeleteHow funny that both Chance and I are on here on the same day! Your cousins miss you too, we all do!! I love your blog, you are a very good writer :). We are counting the days until Christmas time when we can see you all again. Hugs and kisses to everyone!!!!
ReplyDeleteI know! We miss them too! Did Braden see the fire truck pictures? We can't wait to see all y'all either. We need to FaceTime!
Delete