6.04.2012
The Diamond Jubilee
The Queen's Diamond Jubilee marks the sixty year point of the Queen's reign. Sixty years ago, 1952, Queen Elizabeth II ascended the throne. Thousands of spectators lined the Thames to see the Queen pass by. We unfortunately could not really see anything. I had a lovely view of people's heads, trees, banners, and a tiny, tiny section of the Thames, so we watched the entire Jubilee on the news when we got home. The Queen's royal barge was decked with flowers and beautiful gold ornaments. The whole UK was celebrating, actually it seemed all of Europe was celebrating. It was a little like our Fourth of July, except the Diamond Jubilee only comes around every sixty years. People walked around with the Union Jack every where on them, tights, shoes, headbands, shirts, tattoos. Flags and banners waved in the windy city. Church bells resonated throughout the city, and guns were fired at the end. The only problem was that it was very windy, cold, and raining rather hard. But it was still a great time to arrive in London
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow!!! That is soooo neat!!! :)
ReplyDelete(And by the way, you are an amazing writer!!!):)
Thanks!! :)
DeleteWhat a wonderful time to arrive in London. History was made and you were a part of it. It was sad going into your house today with some furniture gone and no one but me there. But I thought about what a grand time you are having and I rejoiced. The first thing the guys said to me was where is that dog...he scares me. I laughed and said she was so friendly. The guy just looked at me.
ReplyDeleteYour room looks great but I know you will be glad to get into permanent digs.
Yeah, It was really neat to be there. We are excited to start looking for a house even though this really is a very nice place, and the guy is really nice. He has helped us with everything... the washing machine, finding DVD's, and rubbish. (Very British!)
DeleteAddy, I love your blog! I am sorry I am just now getting on here, I have been swamped and that is no exaggeration. I miss you guys already and i got y'alls sweet thank you note. What a great memory of all of us hanging out. I can't wait to see you all at Christmas. I am getting all choked up thinking about this. Boohoo. I am glad you are embracing your new adventure. It sounds really neat...and COLD! lol
ReplyDeleteLove you guys!
P.S. How do we Skype?
Thanks!! I can't wait till Christmas when we can see y'all too!!! Hmm... or y'all could come up before then. ;) Anyways, we are having a great time despite the cold and the rain. Our apartment is lovely, so that makes things easier. The girls and I are have a great time racing on word searches. We got them for the plane, but we slept through the ride, so we have a lot left over!! It has provided excellent entertainment when the weather is bad. We are about to go and find a market by the London Bridge. I'll email you about Skype. love you lots
DeleteHey Addison this is Rebekah! I hope you all are having a blast I miss you so much can't wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteHey beka!!!! Hoe are yall doing? We are having a great time!!! We miss and love you also. Hmm.... We can't wait for y'all to visit ;) tell sarah hi!!
Delete