The past few days have been very exciting. Our first excursion in London without Dad was to the Tower of London. You know, the place where they held prisoners and executed them. You would think it would be rather ugly with a past like that, but in actuality, it was gorgeous. There are 20 towers in all, along with the Crown Jewels, which were simply marvelous. But the poor monarchy, their heads must have ached after wearing their crowns they were so weighed down with emeralds, rubies, sapphires, diamonds, and pearls. Everything was so elaborate. Most of the towers were built completely of stone, with tiny winding stairways, and low arches. We also got to see the church where the prisoners were buried. Plaques lined the walls, stones covered the floor with worn away inscriptions. We got to see the execution sight of two of King Henry VIII's wives, Anne Boleyn, and Cathrine Parr. They had private executions, so it was a little flat grassy spot stuck in the middle of all the towers, right by the aforementioned church. While Anne Boleyn, the mother of Queen Elizabeth I, was saying her final prayers, the executioner swiftly beheaded her, and it is said her eyes and lips were still moving. After the Tower of London we went to eat Fish and Chips. The fish was not very flavorful, but it was still delightful to try the British classic. That night we rode the tube for the first time. We rode during rush our, which I do not recommend. It was packed. Maddy could not reach to bar to hold on to, so she decided to hold on to me. Unfortunately she was leaning her whole weight against me, so every time the tube stopped, I almost fell.
The next day we visited a market, the Borough Market. It was filled with vendors selling produce, bread, meat, coffee, desserts, and other bits and bobs. On our way we passed an old medieval Rose window. A round stone window (minus the glass) with the stone in a criss cross pattern across it. We then saw a reproduction on Sir Frances Drake's ship. It was so small, I couldn't believe a ship like that could have circumnavigated the globe. But it was also very colorful, not at all like the drab ships I had pictured. It was black and had red and yellow edgings. Then, at the market, we bought chicken, raspberries, blueberries, asparagus, French bread, and Focaccia. We ate the Focaccia and blueberries for lunch, then we roasted the chicken and boiled the asparagus for our first homemade dinner. The chicken barely fit in the oven, and we had to keep a chair against the oven because the oven didn't close completely. But it was still superbly delicious.
Then, today we went to the British Biscuit Festival (their cookies) it wasn't very exciting, but we got some good cinnamon biscuits. And I got my first pair of British jeans. Very exciting!
P.S. I'll be posting some pictures later of most of this, one of our camera cords is in the shipment. (We forgot to pack it with us!!)
We just read all three blogs and you write vividly so we felt like we were there too. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We love and miss all of you- The Jordans
ReplyDeleteThanks! We miss yall too. It felt weird not getting together with you guys this week. This Sunday, we are going to visit a church we've heard about. I'm excited to hopefully meet some people!!!! We love and miss y'all as well. We can't wait for y'all to visit!!!! ;)
DeleteNeat! I learned a lot about English history this past year, so it is cool to read about your adventures in London!! I miss you!!
ReplyDeleteYeah, we are studying Mideaval history next year so that should be really cool to see all the sights. It's amazing how much is crammed into London. The other day, we were in a mall, and when we exited, we were right by St. Paul's cathedral. It's so interesting how modern things are so intwined with the old. We havn't found any place to buy art supplies, so I hope to figure that out soon. We will see. I miss you too, it's been weird not knowing anyone I can hang out with. It gets a little boring when your just sitting at home. Anyways, I miss you too!
DeleteVivienne found a book that mentioned a yarn shop on London called Loop; you could see if they know of any crafts stores near y'all!
DeleteHave a great day!
Sweet! thanks!
DeleteHey,youve become quite the blogger keep up the good work. Love grampy
ReplyDeleteThanks grampy!!!! I was so glad when I saw your comment! It made me so happy. I haven't been feeling so great these last few days, so I've had a lot of time to blog. Tommarow we are going to try out a church. That soukd be exciting. I can't wait to meet some friends, I'm rather lonely. Anyways, I love you so much and miss you!!!!!
DeleteHey Addison!! I have read everything about your past days in London and it sounds like you love it! I miss you so much and can't wait for you to come back to the United States!! The Sunday after you guys left Pastor Kevin mentioned you guys in the service and I started crying!! Guess I knew I had to shed the tears sometime or another.(Haha!) You are such a great reporter on your adventures and I can't wait to see the pictures soon!! Love you lots!!!!!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteAwww... That is so sweet. I miss all y'all unbelievably. The other day I was trying on some jeans, and these three girls were in there chatting and what not, and it reminded me of when we went to Forever 21 together. :( i didn't cry right then, but I have cried about leaving you many times. This Sunday we are going to visit a church, but it will be sad not to be at KFBC. I miss the uth so much. I love you and miss you and can't wait for you to visit ;)
Deletei am really enjoying your blogs. It is so much fun to hear about what you have done and what you are planning to do. Wish I was there also. I know that you will meet some really nice new friends and will have some wonderful experiences with new people. What a wonderful experience!! Love ya, Carolyn H.
ReplyDeleteThank you! Well, there is always a place for you to stay if you want to come over the pond!!!! ;) We are excited to visit a church Sunday, and meet some new friends. We miss you!!
DeleteSo, British Jeans you have become a brit. I heard about your visit to the church. Very interesting!
ReplyDeleteHey Addison can u send me your phone number and adress on E-mail
ReplyDeleteyou do not have to publish this! just wondering about you sendin that to me.
Will do....
DeleteYah!!!! I hope you have fun meeting some new friends and hope you are having fun!I I enjoy your self!!!!!!!!Are ya'll planing to go to paris or other places in over europe can't wait to see you!!!! Love Rebekah
ReplyDeleteWe are having fun! :) I haven't met many people yet, because we really haven't settled into a church... sad. Anyways, we're trying to get somewhere this summer, but we're not sure yet. Love you too... tell sarah hi! :)
Delete