6.13.2012

Westmister Walk

Today was the first sunny day since we've been here. As mom put it, it was glorious. We took our first bus (you know the red double deckers?) to Westminster. There, we saw the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. Parliament was gorgeous! It was so intricately designed, and huge. This Parliament was actually built in the 1800's, because the first one was destroyed by a fire. (You would not believe how many buildings were destroyed because of fire, the Globe theatre, our apartments, on and on.) We saw a little of Westminster Abbey, but not much. We saw the remains of Whitehall Palace built by Henry VIII and continued by other monarchs. Only the banquet hall now remains as the rest was destroyed by a (guess what?) fire. We then ended up in Trafalgar square where Horatio Nelson watches over the city on a pedestal with four lions guarding the statue. Frieze's  decorated the bottom of Nelson's tall pedestal. We saw a plaque that marked the center of London, which was really neat. Then we walked to St. James's Park, near Buckingham Palace. It was pretty, and was the first green spot I have seen in a while. There was a lake in the center, gardens placed spuradicly and giant tree's everywhere. Swans and ducks swam on the lake, pigeons scavenged for food, and squirrels ate from people's hands. It was very nice to simply sit and watch all of this going on. Then we went to Evensong  at St. Paul's Cathedral. The cathedral itself was lovely. Mosaics of Jesus Christ's crucifixion covered the ceiling. The dome rose high above us. Statues decorated the interior. Organ music mingled with the choirs voices. It was a wonderful experience

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I miss y'all and am praying for you!! :) Today, at VBS, one of the teachers said she used to live on Spring Lodge, one of the 2 year olds is named Addison, and another family we know from church is moving to London sometime this summer! It all reminded me of you, and I can't wait to see you in a few months!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! What a coincidence! Does the family have any kids our age?? That would be incredibly great! :) I can hardly wait to see you too... I miss you so much!! :)

      Delete
    2. I think one of the boys is in 4th or 5th grade, and the others are younger...3rd grade, 1st, and their little girl is maybe 4; but they are a very sweet family!!! :) I miss you too!!

      Delete
  2. macymoss:)13.6.12

    We just got rain here which is what we needed! LOL! :) That is so cool how you can just feed the squirrels and they don't run off. Are they really fat ones? Were the mosaics of the crucifixion beautiful? I wish you could get a pic of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we need less rain! The squirrels were actually not that fat... they looked like the Houston! They were following this one girl who fed them! The mosaics were gorgeous. There were angels and the virgin Mary, Jesus on the cross, they covered the whole ceiling! I wish I could get a picture too, but they don't allow photography. When you come, I can show you them!!!!!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Barbara14.6.12

    Wow red decker double bus! What an experience! I almost felt like I was with you all on the trip. I bet it was so beautiful. An experience in itself just to see St. Paul's...too bad you cannot take pictures. We so appreciate you writing this blog. Keep up the good work. We miss you and your family. Quite at our house.
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete